Manistee Civic Players
The Ramsdell Regional Center for the Arts is home to the Manistee Civic Players. The MCP was originally organized in 1939 and produced several plays through 1941. They were dormant until 1952 when they presented “The Petrified Forest” during the 1952 off-season of the Manistee Drama Festival summer stock program. The MCP produced its first musical, “Guys & Dolls” in 1963. In 1964 it was decided to end the summer stock program that used outside professional talent and to start a year-round season of locally produced shows, including musicals. The Manistee Civic Players absorbed the Manistee Drama Festival into their organization.
In 1974 the MCP leased the theatre portion of the building from the City of Manistee and took on the management of the entire structure until 2007, when the City took over operations. In 2016, the City leased the Ramsdell to the non-profit Ramsdell Regional Center for the Arts. The Civic Players continue to hold their productions at the theatre. Their history of support to the place they call “home” has helped make the Ramsdell Theatre the beautiful structure it is today.
The MCP is presently continuing its 60+ year history of providing memorable community theatre productions and opportunities to the community at large, as well as conducting workshops, studio productions, children’s plays and student drama classes. Using local talent, the MCP has presented over 300 stage productions including more than 125 musical shows. For more information, please visit the Manistee Civic Players.
Visit website (new window)